Wedgebrush Florals and the Embellished Envelope
Wedgebrush Florals and the Embellished Envelope
Dates & Times
Saturday and Sunday, April 17 & 18, 2021
Time 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Studio Opens at 9:00 a.m.
Registration Opens: Feb 22, 2021 Early Bird Deadline: March 19, 2021
Registration Closes: April 9, 2021 or at capacity
For more information, please review Program Policies and Information and Payment Information. To register for a course on or after the Open Date, please complete our Registration Form at the bottom of this page.
This class is designed to be an introduction on how to use the wedge or triangle brush and watercolours to produce simple borders, floral groups, and flourishes to embellish your calligraphy. Our canvas will be the envelope, and if preferred, a card, journal, or gift tag.
Address to Impress: Explore the exciting elegance of expressive one stroke florals and delicate watercolour foliates as they are spontaneously created with the wedge brush. I will share basic tips and techniques so that you too will produce stunning florals and detailed pointed pen accents that will enhance your hand lettering on all correspondence. Using a variety of themes and envelope templates, all provided in your handouts, you will create several projects consolidating the skills learned in class. Let me teach you endless possibilities where the creative joy in the journey is never ending.
A 2013 winner of The Graceful Envelope, a graduate & member of the Sumi-e Artists of Canada, and online instructor for acornarts.org, Phyllis is a current member of the HCG, RCCG, & CAGT, and lives in the greater Hamilton area where she works as a freelance calligrapher, teacher and artist. Her background in teaching and art was her springboard into the lettering arts, and her passion for colour, graceful lettering, and flourishing & painting is elegantly expressed on the one-of-a-kind gracefully embellished envelopes she creates. Using a triangle / wedge brush, Phyllis incorporates the spontaneity and simplicity of minimal brush strokes borrowed from Eastern brush painting to produce expressive and delicate floral subjects to accompany her lettering. Phyllis has studied extensively with Master Penman William Lilly, a gold seal Zanerian graduate, as well as with multiple skilled mentors and masters through IAMPETH, including MP Harvest Crittenden, and her work has been featured in a variety of publications including Dasherie, calligraphy crush,Vogue Brides, Bound and Lettered, as well as in collaborations with PBS, Sakura of America and AGH Annex of Hamilton. Phyllis’s™ work can be found on Instagram @FPMmac.
- Penholder (oblique or straight) and nib of your choice
- Silver Triangle Brush / medium JNB: www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=silver+brush. This triangle brush comes in three sizes, S-M-L. Medium size is sufficient for this class, and sizes S and L are optional.(Michaels Art & Crafts Artist’s Loft series of wedge brushes; Jerry’s Artarama: Loews-Cornell, Beste-Wedge Brush www.jerrysartarama.com/beste-finest-golden-taklon-hair-brushes)
- Writing fluid: dark & white
- Mechanical white lead pencil (for use on dark paper)
- Basic Tool Kit: Kneadable eraser, clear plastic ruler, (or clear T square ruler-my preference), lead pencil, scissor, bone folder
- Inexpensive Mixing Brush
- Paper towels /cloth, and 6″ round white plate (Dollarama) or white plastic lid (Cool Whip lid) or white Styrofoam plate
Optional materials (not mandatory):
- Optional: Envelopes Graph paper, Borden Riley layout paper, watercolour paper, blank stationary sets (cards/envelopes)
- Optional: Gouache or watercolour – your colour preferences OR suggested colours: green, violet, blue, turquoise, pink, white, gold
- Optional: spectralite gold or Finetec gold & other colours, Martin’s Iridescent gold/silver/or white, or Holbein brilliant gold
- Optional: iridescent inks (liquid or cakes)
- Optional: Sakura clear stardust gel pen, Sakura clear glaze gel pen, Wink of Stella glitter brush
- Optional: Liquid Pearls, Stickles clear glitter
INCLUDED WITH REGISTRATION
Detailed Notes & Handouts for all Four Lessons including the following:
- Step-by-step instructional guide sheets
- Practice Sheets, pattern sheets
- Templates and patterns for creative envelopes and stationary
- Paint palette preloaded with watercolour/gouache paint
- Small wiping cloth (for cleaning pen nib and drying brush)
- Assorted watercolour paper, Arches text wove paper, cardstock paper, graph paper, handmade paper, tracing paper, graph paper
- Assorted envelopes in varying colours, sizes and quality.
Members and Friends: $165 Early Bird Rate until April 1, 2020 $155
Non-Members: $195 Early Bird Rate until April 1, 2020 $185
Class supplies: Instructor has included many materials and handouts. Students are to only bring the materials as listed or any optional items. Sharing with others in the class is encouraged.
Neilson Park Creative Centre (NPCC)
56 Neilson Drive