The Holly and the Ivy – Debbie Thompson Wilson
The Holly and the Ivy with Debbie Thompson Wilson
Dates & Times
September 29, 2019
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Studio Opens at 9:00 p.m.
Debbie Thompson Wilson
Getting a jump on the festive season…we will look at images related to the song, “The Holly and the Ivy” and rendering them in real gold leaf and illumination techniques based on methods used in medieval manuscript illumination.
We will use modern watercolours and hot press watercolour paper. You are welcome to add some calligraphy to your image and/or bring an image of your own (please stick to the theme!). There will be instruction on flat gilding with gold leaf and various painting techniques.
Some watercolour experience is helpful.
Debbie is a practicing medieval-style illuminator and calligrapher who lives in Guelph. She has a BA in Art History and Studio and has been teaching medieval illumination and gilding workshops across Canada since 2002. She shows her work every year at the Guelph Studio Tour.
She is a long-time member of Guelph’s Royal City Calligraphy Guild and the Hamilton Calligraphy Guild.
Students are expected to bring:
- Watercolours – basic set (tubes or pans), plus white gouache (if you have it)
- Winsor Newton Cotman (student grade) watercolours are fine.
- Ruler – 6 or 12″
- X-acto knife with #11 blade
- Scissors – sharp and clean
- Kneaded eraser
- Lead pencils – HB, 5B (4B or 6B works fine as well…bring just one!)
- Ballpoint pen – any colour
- Watercolour brushes – a couple, size 1 or smaller
- Old/cheap fine watercolor brush – for use with gilding medium which wrecks brushes
- Plastic palette or china plate – for mixing colours
- Clean rag and/or paper towels
- Water container
- Waterproof marker (NOT Sharpie!) – black or brown fine point; I recommend Pigma micron or Faber Castell Pitt Artist Pen (as fine a point as you can get)
Optional: Calligraphy supplies if you want to include lettering with your image
Members and Friends: $90 Early Bird $80
Non-Members: $130 Early Bird $120
Class supplies: Students bring $15 to bring to class – includes watercolour paper, gold leaf and gilding medium, a fine watercolour brush, misc. handouts & supplies
Neilson Park Creative Centre (NPCC)
56 Neilson Drive